Spanish Highs Mountain Guides, Sierra Nevada, Spain offering activity holidays for everbody!
SPANISH HIGHS MOUNTAIN GUIDES provide a wide range of activity holidays including walking & hiking, trekking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing and skiing in the Alpujarras, Sierra Nevada (highest mountains in western europe outside the Alps!) and other varied destinations in the remote sierras of Andalucia Province, southern Spain. Also regular expeditions to the Southern Patagonian Icecap.
The area provides great opportunities for all, from the high and wild mountains in winter, to the more gentle spanish walking found in the hills of the Alpujarras.There is something to interest everybody. Our sites provide Mountain and Travel Information and a wealth of resources for those travelling independently or those who just want to learn more about these wonderful mountains!
Easy access is available with flights to Granada, Malaga, Seville or Almeria airports. We offer trips of any duration and any start date.
In our blog "Inspiring the Adventure" we create new innovative mountain routes, ideas, areas and activities. We hope you will use these as an inspiration for your own adventures here!
Scheduled Day Tours Mon to Fri near Granada, Alpujarras and Sierra Nevada
About Spanish Highs, Sierra Nevada Mountain Guides
Year-round Mountain Guiding with local guides, local people & local knowledge. Experience you can trust!
- An enthusiastic and friendly team providing Experienced, Professional Mountain Guiding and Leadership.
- Fully insured, licensed and registered for both guiding activities and for operating as a travel agency
- Operating since 1992 and from a permanent base in Lanjaron, since 2002.
- Adheres to a Responsible Travel and Environment policy.
Coming up in October. Places left!
- 17-19 (3 days) Scrambling - ask for route details. 3 places left
- 17-21 (5 days) Los Tres Miles. 3 places left
- 31 (1 day) Scrambling. 2 places left
- Mulhacen day ascents every Tuesday and Thursday
- Veleta and Cerro de los Machos day ascents every Monday and Wednesday
Walking & Hiking
- Alpujarras & Sierra Nevada
- Leave the rat race behind! "Alpujarras Escape", for the very best Walking and Hiking holidays in the Alpujarras, or join writer Chris Stewart and ourselves "Walking over Lemons"! Quiet, remote walking and hiking with just the right amount of luxury thrown in for good measure! In summer we visit the high mountain lakes of the Sierra Nevada in day or muli-day tours.
- Granada Province
- The Sierra de Huetor and Cumbres Verdes near Granada offer spectacular and quiet hiking tracks. West of the Sierra Nevada the Lecrin Valley offers an interesting and quiet venue.
- Tabernas Desert, Sevilla and Malaga Provinces
- We just love visiting the unique desert badlands of Tabernas, Almeria. The mountains of the Sierra Blanca, Sierra de las Nieves, Axarquia and Sierra de Almijara give superb walking close to the sea at Nerja and Velez-Malaga. There is a vast range of walking trails in the Sierra de Aracena and we have the long distance path, the GR48. Withing easy reach of Sevilla too!
- Group Walking Holidays
- Enjoy our bespoke "Walking Holidays in Andalucia" or sample the all inclusive delights of our Group Walking Holidays. These are specially formatted to allow you the flexibility to choose eachs days activities, whether they be a gentle guided walk, a harder guided hike or an excursion to visit some of Andalucias greatest historical and natural sights.
- Sierra Nevada
- We have many day and multi-day treks in the Sierra Nevada. The most popular is to climb Mulhacen, highest mountain in Spain in either one or two day trips. We also make the 5 day crossing of "Los Tres Miles", 3000m peak ridges. This involves 4 nights wild camping by streams and lakes.
- As well as summer mountain ascents, we have Multi-day crossings of the Sierras of between 1 and 3 nights duration and also the incredible "Trek the remote North"! covering all the quiet northern 30000m+ mountains in a 3 night tour.
- For a hiking holiday with a difference try Lightweight Backpacking with mules, where the donkeys take your tents, stove, food and extra gear on to the next camp. Or combine both Hiking & Mountain Biking into a multi-day trip. The possibilities are endless!
- Charity Challenges
- Raising money for good causes? Try "Los Tres Picos", a diffcult 3 day trek climbing the highest mountains in the Sierra Nevada
Mountaineering & Scrambling
- Winter Mountaineering
- With reliable, snowsure conditions from December until March inclusive we run Winter skills mountaineering courses, Alpine Introduction courses and winter ascents of the main peaks of the Sierra Nevada.
- Via Ferratas
- This region is set to become very big with some amazing newly developed Via Ferrata routes in Andalucia. Available year round.
- Scrambling Adventures in Andalucia
- High quality Scrambling routes in Andalucia. In particular the Sierra Nevada and Sierra de Huetor give superb sport. We also run annual week long Scrambling Holidays in Mallorca.
- Rock Climbing
- Granada Province offers some great Rock Climbing giving routes of all grades. We also offer Ropework Courses for those new to the sport.
Ski Touring & Snowshoeing
- Ski Touring and Backcountry Skiing
- Enjoy skiing and fancy getting away from the crowded pistes? Ski Touring in the Sierra Nevada may be for you. With quiet and snowsure mountains we have backcountry skiing at its finest! Beginners courses and multi-day tours for the more experienced.
- Guided day or multi day Snowshoeing Tours. With access to the high mountain bowls of the Sierra Nevada and the forested Alpujarras on our doorstep.
- Downhill Skiing
- Inclusive Downhill ski packages are provided for the alpine skier.
Icecap Expeditions & Trekking in Patagonia
- Southern Patagonian Icecap
- We run regular expeditions (Nov and Dec) to the Southern Patagonian Icefield. The expedition encircles the stupendous Mount Fitroy and Cerro Torre massifs. The Icecap is the largest piece of ice in the world outside the polar regions. It is very special and gives us the chance of a lifetime to sample the nearest thing you will get to an antarctic experience without actually going there!
- Trekking Los Glaciares National Park
- We also run day and multi day Trekking Tours from a base in El Chalten, undoubtedly Argentina's "Trekking Capital". There is great variety from simple day trips to tough multi day tours involving simple glacier and river crossings. All with the spectacular scenery of Los Glaciares National Park close to hand!
Self Guided or Special Interest?
- Self Guided? Support for trekkers & mountaineers
- Whether for walkers and trekkers or for climbers and mountaineers, we offer a year round self guided support service. We provide the transport to/from airport and trailhead, choice of accommodation, maps, gas,dehydrated food, gps, gear hire, sat phones, information on snow conditions, routes etc. This ensures you spend maximum time in the mountains for minimum cost!
- Almeria Nature Guide
- Day or multi day guided tours in the wild, unknown regions of Almeria. Perfect for bird and nature watching, geology, 4WD safaris, field trips and photography opportunities
- Special Interest Groups
- Navigation Courses, Birdwatching Tours, Outdoor Photography Courses or Family Friendly holidays.